Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Omelet

Back by popular demand!

Or I finally feel inspired...either way, here I am.

I've been asked about my omelets a lot lately.  It has become second nature to me, so when people tell me they don't know how to make an omelet, it surprises me.  I even saw an episode of The Barefoot Contessa where Ina admitted to not knowing how to make one.

I had a lot of practice at the beginning of my clean foods diet.  We kept a carton of egg whites in the fridge and it was daily practice to wake up, pour the coffee and make an omelet.  (This ended because the omelet is SO filling, I was feeling too full all the time)  They're really simple as long as you have your filling prepared ahead of time.  Of course, in my case, pico de gallo goes with everything so I'm set.

IMAG0039

The ingredients:
  • Non-stick cooking spray
  • Milk
  • Shredded cheese
  • Filling of your choice (in my case, about 3 tablespoons of pico de gallo)
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Goya Adobo seasoning
  • 2 eggs
Start by spraying your nonstick pan with the cooking spray and setting it over medium-high heat.

Crack the eggs into a bowl and add about a tablespoon of milk.  Sprinkle with Adobo...probably about 1/2 tablespoon, I don't usually measure it.

IMAG0040

Whisk all of this together until little bubbles form around the edges.  Immediately pour into the pan and let it be.  Don't touch it!  Let it cook through like a pancake.  Once the top looks mostly cooked, add your filling to the left side (or right side if you are left-handed).  Top the filling with shredded cheese.

IMAG0043

With a pancake-flipping spatula, fold the egg in half so the right side covers the filling.  Let it sit in the pan for a minute or 2 so that the cheese melts and can hold the omelet together.  Season with salt and pepper.

IMAG0044

Mine is a little darker than usual because my phone decided to restart in the middle of cooking and I needed to get this picture.  Usually it'll be a nice golden brown...but hubby didn't complain and actually ate the whole thing.  This omelet was made with whole eggs but can easily be made with just the egg whites.  I prefer the egg white version.

So there you have it!  Pretty simple and very little clean-up.

Not sure what my next post will be, but I'm sure I'll find inspiration.  It's been a rough couple of months for me, but I figured out that I'd start pursuing a career in the Culinary field.  And since school is expensive and we're not in a good place for that right now...I get to try new things on my own and share them with you all.  Can't be a bad thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment